Who says you can’t eat clean and also have a decadent breakfast?! I love making this whole grain french toast using warmed honey instead of maple syrup. It’s still naturally sweetened but adds a different flavor that goes so well with the whole grain bread. Top with some fresh strawberries, bananas, or blueberries, and enjoy!
did you know? fun fact!
French toast did not actually originate from France! I don’t know about you, but my mind was blown when I found this out. It’s actually a traditional American dish named after someone with the last name “French.” Who knew!
Other names for french toast around the world are Lost Bread (France) and Gyspy Bread (UK). If you find french toast that interesting, you can read more here!
what’s in this whole grain french toast?
- Whole Grain Bread
- Almond Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter or Ghee (For Cooking)
- Warmed Honey (For Drizzling)
what to use for topping your whole grain french toast:
- Fresh Berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- Nut Butter
- Whipped Cream
- Coconut flakes
what makes this different than traditional french toast?
Whole Grains: I chose to make this french toast with whole grain bread, but you can also use any bread (like gluten-free) of your choice. Whole grains have much more nutrients than traditional white bread. But a traditional french toast uses variations of white bread (brioche, sourdough, etc)
Warmed Honey: Not only is this warmed honey naturally sweet, but it’s a different flavor than the classic maple syrup served with french toast. You can of course use pure maple syrup (or any of your choosing) as well!
No Added Sugar: Many french toast recipes add sugar into the egg wash and bread mixture. This recipe does not. It’s only sweetened with the drizzled honey on top!
healthy french toast with warmed honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 4 slices whole-grain bread or bread of choice: gluten-free, sourdough, etc
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp organic butter or ghee for cooking can use non-stick spray olive/coconut oil as well
- Maple syrup or warmed honey for drizzling
- Start by whisking together the eggs, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Once mixed, add cinnamon, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a flat skillet pan to medium heat with cooking butter/ghee/oil. While your pan warms up, gently dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture. I prefer to lightly dip, so the toast is less “egg-y.”
- Cook each side for about 2 minutes until golden brown. Repeat for each piece of toast.
- Top with strawberries, maple syrup, or warmed honey.
- Tip: If the pan is too hot, the butter will burn. If the pan begins to smoke, wipe the pan with paper towels (carefully, don’t burn yourself!) in between each batch.