With Super Bowl Sunday coming up, this healthy buffalo chicken dip is a perfect appetizer to keep you on track with healthy eating while still enjoying something tasty! I love a savory appetizer- especially one with buffalo sauce!
This healthier version of buffalo chicken dip is much higher in protein (15g per serving!) and a lot lower in saturated fat than traditional buffalo chicken dip. But I promise- this recipe is just as satisfying and flavorful as the traditional appetizer!
what’s in this healthy buffalo chicken dip?
Greek Yogurt: A traditional buffalo chicken dip can be made with heavy cream, cream cheese, sour cream, and more cheese on top. But in this case, I’ve found that greek yogurt is a GREAT neutral-tasting substitute for all of the cream, that gives a really similar texture. As a bonus, greek yogurt is high in protein.
Buffalo Sauce: This is my absolute favorite store-bought buffalo sauce. The ingredients are pretty clean and it has an incredible flavor!
Shredded Chicken: My favorite way to make this is buying a rotisserie chicken, simply because it’s easy! But, I’ve also used plain crockpot shredded chicken or even shredded boiled plain chicken as well. All options are delicious in this recipe!
Herbs & Spices: Fresh dill gives this dip such a great flavor that compliments the buffalo sauce well. You’ll also need garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Others: Dijon Mustard and Lemon Juice.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup frank’s red hot buffalo sauce
- 1½ cups plain greek yogurt or plain dairy-free yogurt of your choice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dill
- juice from 1 lemon
- green onions for garnish
- bleu cheese optional
- Start by mixing buffalo sauce, greek yogurt, dijon mustard, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Next, add the seasoning and mix well. Lastly, add shredded chicken (see cooking options above) and make sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the mixture to a small baking dish (6×6 or 8×8) and bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 25 minutes. The top of the dip should be a crisp orange color, and the inside of the dip should be creamy and thickened.
- Serve immediately along with your favorite tortilla chips, carrots, or celery! Enjoy.