With Super Bowl Sunday coming up, this healthy buffalo chicken dip is a perfect appetizer to keep you on track with healthy eating while still enjoying something tasty! I love a savory appetizer- especially one with buffalo sauce!
This healthier version of buffalo chicken dip is much higher in protein (15g per serving!) and a lot lower in saturated fat than traditional buffalo chicken dip. But I promise- this recipe is just as satisfying and flavorful as the traditional appetizer!
so, what’s in this healthy buffalo chicken dip?
Greek Yogurt: A “traditional” buffalo chicken dip can be made with heavy cream, cream cheese, sour cream, and oh- MORE CHEESE! But in this case, I’ve found that greek yogurt is a GREAT neutral-tasting substitute for all of the cream, that gives a really similar texture. And mixed in with all of the other goodness, you can’t even taste a difference! And an added bonus, Greek yogurt is high in protein.
Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce: This is my absolute favorite store-bought buffalo sauce. The ingredients are pretty clean and it has an incredible flavor! If you’d like, you can also make your own buffalo sauce by using Franks Red Hot Sauce (original) along with a few tablespoons of melted ghee. This method makes the sauce 100% #whole30approved.
Shredded Chicken: My favorite way to make this is buying a rotisserie chicken, simply because IT’S EASY! But, I’ve also used plain crockpot shredded chicken or even shredded boiled plain chicken as well. All options are delicious in this recipe!
healthy buffalo chicken dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup frank’s red hot buffalo sauce
- 1½ cups plain greek yogurt or plain dairy-free yogurt of your choice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dill
- juice from 1 lemon
- green onions for garnish
- bleu cheese optional
- Start by mixing buffalo sauce, greek yogurt, dijon mustard, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Next, add the seasoning and mix well. Lastly, add shredded chicken (see cooking options above) and make sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the mixture to a small baking dish (6×6 or 8×8) and bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 25 minutes. The top of the dip should be a crisp orange color, and the inside of the dip should be creamy and thickened.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, carrots, or celery! Enjoy.