These protein energy balls are a great snack that has protein, carbs, and healthy fat. They’re a healthy little sweet treat that too, doesn’t last long in our household!
setting yourself up for success (healthy snacking!)
I love prepping healthy (yet tasty) snacks for the week. And this recipe is one of my go-to’s. We often here so much about meal prepping, and while meals are so important, snacks get overlooked. And for a snack connoisseur like myself (LOL), I don’t like missing my snack time!
So moral of the story, if I have healthy snacks in my kitchen- prepped and readily available, I’m more likely to eat those opposed to an entire bag of chips or a chocolate bar. And, not to mention, these protein balls hit all three macro nutrient categories, which will leave you feeling satisfied!
what’s in these protein balls?
Oats: The base of these protein energy balls are oats, making them a healthy and gluten-free option!
Raw Cacao Powder: The cacao powder is where we get that rich chocolate flavor, and not to mention- cacao is packed with nutrients. See my favorite brand, here.
Protein Powder: Really any protein powder works here, whatever your favorite is (whey, vegan, collagen). I prefer to use chocolate but vanilla or unflavored will work as well. I’ve even made these without protein powder and they’re just as good!
Almond or Peanut Butter: For texture and deliciousness.
Raw Honey: For sweetness.
Almond Milk: For moisture and binding.
Cinnamon: Optional, but for flavor.
Vanilla Extract: Optional, but for flavor.
Dark Chocolate Chunks: Because YUM. See my favorite brand, here.
chocolate protein energy balls
- 1½ cups oats
- 1/3 cup protein powder chocolate or vanilla
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup natural peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
- splash almond milk or water
- 40 grams chocolate chips or crushed cacao bar
- In a large bowl, mix together dry oats, protein powder, cacao, and cinnamon. Add peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract and mix together until everything starts to come together. Add chocolate chips if you want! The mixture will be very dry at this point.
- Add a splash of almond milk or water, and mix together until a dough forms. Be careful not to add too much liquid, you can always add more if needed. The dough should come together in your hands and won't be dry.
- Use a cookie scoop or your hands to roll into 1 inch balls. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy!