These Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are such a fun way to spice up your typical plain sweet potato. Not only is this recipe insanely delicious, but it’s also vegetarian & vegan for all my plant-based friends! The cilantro lime crèma takes the recipe up a notch and can be added to so many different things. Tacos, salmon, chicken, you name it!
what’s in this recipe?
These sweet potatoes are stuffed with super simple, tasty ingredients:
- Black Beans: for added protein!
- Corn: for texture and extra veggies!
- Pico De Gallo (Tomatoes, Red Onion, Jalapeno, Cilantro, Lime Juice): Make your own or buy store-bought
- Cilantro Lime Crèma: Homemade and delicious! Add this to anything, not just sweet potatoes. The recipe as written contains greek yogurt and honey, but to ensure this is totally vegan compliant, simply use dairy-free yogurt and maple syrup instead.
To make your own Pico De Gallo:
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and chopped
- juice from 1/2 lime
how to make the sweet potatoes?
Making the sweet potatoes is so so so easy. I personally like to prepare them ahead of time to easily throw this meal together. But as long as you have an hour or so before your mealtime, you should be good to go!
Start by poking 8-10 holes in each sweet potato with a fork. This is super important to giving your sweet potatoes ventilation in the oven so they don’t burst. After that, pop them into a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until they are soft all the way through. If you prefer, you can coat your sweet potatoes in olive oil, but it’s not necessary. I personally don’t add any oil or foil to mine when I make this recipe. Just add them to a pan and you’re good to go!
stuffed sweet potatoes with cilantro lime crèma
For Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo (diced tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice)
For Cilantro Lime Crèma
- 1/2 avocado large
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt or coconut yogurt for vegan/dairy-free
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup for vegan
- 1 large lime juiced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Use a fork to poke 8-10 holes in each sweet potato for ventilation. Add to a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 425 degrees F. Optional: coat in olive oil before baking, but not necessary.
- While sweet potatoes bake, rinse & drain black beans and corn. Saute on the stove until warm. In a bowl, mix corn and black beans along with pico de gallo and lime juice.
- Cut each sweet potato down the center and add the filling.
For the Crèma:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until fully blended. Add to the top of the stuffed sweet potatoes and enjoy!