Are you ready for an easy & tasty week night meal?! These healthy chicken meatballs are the perfect option! They are made with juicy ground chicken, crumbled feta, and fresh herbs. Throw these together in under 40 minutes and you have yourself a unique dinner option!
what to serve with these healthy chicken meatballs:
I love serving these meatballs with a green vegetable like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or green beans! While we often think of meatballs as being served with pasta, you don’t have to do that with these. But if you’d like, these would be delicious with some lemon garlic pasta!
what’s the secret to perfect meatballs?
Oil your hands: This is completely optional, but oiling your hands and rolling the meatballs together will hold the moisture inside, while making outside slightly caramelized while baking. Delicious all around!
Don’t pack too tightly: When shaping your meatballs in to balls, don’t pack the meat together too tightly or it will make your meatballs tough or chewy. Gently roll them together, shaping without much pressure.
Bake on a wire rack: I prefer to bake on a wire rack so when the meatballs release the fat, they don’t sit in it. Many times the fat will pool at the bottom of the meatballs when baking.
Caramelize the outside: Cooking meatballs in a frying pan can be tricky because the outside often gets burnt before the inside cooks (not to mention the oil splatter). To get that caramelization, you can either pan-fry them for a few minutes or bake as directed and broil at the end to caramelize the outside. Pan frying will help to get a nice crisp, then add them back in the oven for the remaining cook time. This is an extra step but can take your meatballs to the next level if you have the time!
Feta & Herb Chicken Meatballs
- wire baking rack
- 2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 100 grams feta crumbled
- 1 tbsp flour of your choice I used almond
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach or herbs basil or parsley work great too
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil for rolling
- First, combine all ingredients (except olive oil) in a large bowl. Mix well using a spoon or your hands.
- Once all the ingredients are well combined, coat your hands with a drizzle of olive oil to your hands and rub them together. Use your hands to form the mixture into 1 inch balls. The olive oil will make them smooth and crispy on the outside while cooking.
- Add formed meatballs to a lined baking sheet (with a rack works best so fat cooks out). Bake meatballs for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees until fully cooked through. They should be lightly golden on the outside.