These Mediterranean-inspired feta & herb chicken meatballs are made extra tasty by adding crumbled feta cheese and fresh herbs! Served with my homemade tzatziki sauce, you have a delicious and healthy meal ready in about 40 minutes!
The past 4 months, I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to live in two places in the Mediterranean: Greece and Cyprus. Both places have the most incredible Greek food that inspires me daily! I’ve had the best souvlaki, pita bread, tzatziki sauce, Greek salad, feta cheese, halloumi, lamb, fresh vegetables/herbs- you name it!
Insert these feta & herb chicken meatballs. All of these delicious flavors combined into these healthy meatballs, and served with a homemade tzatziki yogurt sauce. What could be better?! 🙂
what is tzatziki?
Tzatziki is a Mediterranean dip made out of plain yogurt, cucumber, lemon, garlic, olive oil, and fresh herbs like dill or mint. It’s creamy, flavorful, and so delicious in my opinion! If you’ve never tried it, I highly recommend giving it a shot with these meatballs. It’s mild enough for someone who doesn’t typically *love* sauce, while still being very flavorful!
what to serve with these feta & herb chicken meatballs:
In my opinion, it’s a must to serve these with my homemade tzatziki recipe! It’s a light, fresh dipping sauce that adds so much flavor to the meatballs. On the side, I typically serve pita or naan bread for a carb, and an arugula or greek salad for the veggie!
what’s the secret to perfect meatballs?
Oil your hands: This is completely optional, but oiling your hands and rolling the meatballs together will hold the moisture inside, while making outside slightly caramelized while baking. Delicious all around!
Don’t pack too tightly: When shaping your meatballs in to balls, don’t pack the meat together too tightly or it will make your meatballs tough or chewy. Gently roll them together, shaping without much pressure.
Bake on a wire rack: I prefer to bake on a wire rack so when the meatballs release the fat, they don’t sit in it. Many times the fat will pool at the bottom of the meatballs when baking.
Feta & Herb Chicken Meatballs with Homemade Tzatziki
- wire baking rack
Feta & Herb Chicken Meatballs:
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 100 grams feta crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp flour of your choice I used almond
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach or herbs basil or parsley work great too
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil for rolling
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (2%)
- 1/2 medium cucumber grated, with water squeezed out
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice juice from about 1/2 a lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- sea salt to taste
- First, combine all ingredients for meatballs (except olive oil) in a large bowl. Combine using a spoon or clean hands.
- Once all the ingredients are well combined, coat your hands with a drizzle of olive oil to your hands and rub them together. Use your hands to form the mixture into 1 inch balls. The olive oil will make them smooth and crispy on the outside while cooking.
- Add formed meatballs to a lined baking sheet (with a rack works best so fat cooks out). Bake meatballs for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees until fully cooked through. They should be lightly golden on the outside.
For the Tzatziki:
- Start by grating the cucumber into a clean dish towel (or paper towel). Squeeze out all excess water.
- Add plain greek yogurt to a bowl with shredded cucumber, minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and freshly chopped dill. Mix until everything is combined.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes prior to serving. Dip your meatballs in the homemade tzatziki sauce, and enjoy!