Creamy Cajun Pasta: This pasta recipe is a healthy, yet satisfying meal for when you’re craving something with a little kick! Cajun seasoning is one of my favorites because it has amazing flavor and you can modify how spicy you want it depending on how much you use! Trust me, don’t be afraid of cajun seasoning because of the spice- you’ll miss out on amazing flavor 🙂
what’s in this recipe?
Chicken: You can also substitute shrimp, sausage, or a mix of all of all!
Vegetables: Bell pepper, mushrooms, canned tomatoes, garlic, onions.
Pasta: Use any pasta of your choosing. I love using protein pasta, chickpea, red lentil, or brown rice pasta- depending on my mood!
Coconut Milk: For dairy-free creaminess. I promise you won’t taste the coconut flavor. For best results, use coconut milk that’s only ingredients are coconut, coconut milk, or water.
Cajun or Creole Seasoning: The star of the show, giving this pasta an amazing flavor. I used this one.
can I make this creamy cajun pasta if I don’t like spicy food?
Yes, yes, yes! In fact, my husband hates spicy food and he still loved this pasta even though it’s made with cajun seasoning. If you don’t like spice, I recommend starting with 1-3 teaspoons of cajun seasoning, taste test it, and go from there. If you do like spice, stick with the full tablespoon of seasoning and add more if need be! The great part about this recipe is that you can modify it to suit your taste!
can I substitute the chicken?
Yes, of course! This recipe would be incredible with shrimp, sausage, or a mix! In fact, next time I make this I will definitely be definitely trying it out with chicken sausage 🙂
Vegetarian/Vegan Option: If you are vegan or vegetarian, simply leave out the meat. The sauce and other ingredients are already dairy-free and plant-based! I used Barilla Protein Plus Pasta, for some added protein so this recipe truly doesn’t need meat.
Creamy Cajun Pasta
- Boiling Pot
- Sautee Pan
- 3 chicken breasts, diced can substitute shrimp or sausage
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup canned coconut milk stirred to mix solid and liquid
- 1 tbsp cajun or creole seasoning more or less to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 10 oz gluten-free pasta or any pasta you like
- Start by cooking pasta to package instructions in a large boiling pot. Cook to al dente. Once fully cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, add olive oil and diced chicken on medium/high heat. Season with paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until tender and fully cooked through (no pink). Once the chicken is fully cooked, set aside.
- In the large boiling pot, add chopped bell pepper, mushrooms, canned tomatoes, onions, and a drizzle of olive oil. Cover and let simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk and cajun seasoning and let it simmer for 3 or so more minutes to let the flavors combine. Add more cajun seasoning to spice it up to your liking.
- To the sauce, add in the pasta and cooked chicken. Combine so that all pasta and chicken is coated in the sauce. Season with more cajun, salt, or pepper to your liking.
- Optional: top with some parmesan or dried parsley. Enjoy!