Lemon Garlic Pasta with Asparagus: She’s lemony, she’s buttery, and the best part- she’s made with wholesome ingredients! This lemon garlic pasta is light, yet comforting. Its truly the perfect addition to your summer dinner rotation! It’s ready in less than 30 minutes and it has a ton of options depending on your dietary needs.
what do I need to make this lemon garlic pasta?
Lemons: The no brainer here, you needs lemons! You need about 2 lemons in total, using lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon slices!
Ghee: Simply put, ghee is clarified butter. It’s is butter, but with the lactose and casein removed, making it dairy-free. Ghee gives this pasta a deliciously buttery taste that goes great with the lemon flavor. And, ghee is #paleo and #whole30 approved. See my favorite brand, here.
Olive oil: Although this recipe calls for ghee as well, the olive oil and ghee together create a lovely flavor in this oil based sauce.
Garlic: 4 cloves, because you can never have too much right?!
Fresh Basil Leaves: Basil & lemon are one of my favorite flavor combinations. Add in the buttery goodness from the ghee and this is the perfect trio.
what kind of pasta should I use in this recipe?
The type of pasta you use is entirely up to you and your preferences! Here is a list of a few options.
Whole Wheat Pasta: This is the pasta I tend to use most often. Although, it isn’t gluten-free, but it’s a great whole grain option with a lot of good fiber. We love a good whole grain carb!
Brown Rice Pasta: Next up, brown rice pasta is a perfect option for my gluten-free foodies who also happen to love traditional pasta! It doesn’t taste much different and it’s made with only rice.
Chickpea or Red Lentil Pasta: Both great options for those who eat grain-free. I often choose these pasta options because they tend to be a little bit lighter.
Spaghetti Squash or Zucchini Noodles: Lastly, for those who want to eliminate the carb altogether, add more vegetables, and still have an incredibly delicious meal- this ones for you. I actually love using this lemon butter sauce with spaghetti squash!
Lemon Garlic & Asparagus Pasta
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 4 lemon slices 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 lb cooked pasta of your choosing
- Cook the pasta to al dente, or package instructions. In another pan, start by adding a tablespoon of ghee in a pan on medium heat. Add the 4 lemon slices and them brown (this adds great flavor). Once both sides are browned, add in the rest of the ghee, olive oil, lemon juice & zest, garlic, basil, and seasonings. Leaving out the pasta and asparagus.
- Steam the asparagus by adding a few tablespoons of water to a pan with a lid. Let steam until tender and water is evaporated. Add the asparagus to the pasta and mix well. Garnish with sauteed lemons and enjoy!