Matcha Protein Balls: I love making protein balls for a quick snack to have on hand, and these are such a fun and unique option! These have vegan protein powder, oats, tahini, matcha powder, and honey for natural sweeteness. Then, they’re rolled in unsweetened coconut flakes and formed into cute little balls! What could be better?!
If you’ve never tried matcha, or don’t even know what it is, this is the perfect starter recipe to introduce you to it. It’s a very unique flavor but is so fun to use in snacks, baked goods, or just drinking on it’s own.
what is matcha powder?
Matcha powder is a finely ground form of a green tea leaf that comes from traditional Japanese culture. It has an earthy taste and is known for its incredible amount of antioxidants and other nutrients. In recent years, it has become more popular in the United States due to its many health benefits.
While matcha green tea does contain caffeine, it is a slow-release over time meaning you don’t get that surge of energy followed by a crash. I find that matcha green tea gives a natural boost of energy without the jitters. I personally don’t drink coffee anymore (because of anxiety) but I do still enjoy iced matcha or matcha in a baked good here and there!
If you have never tried matcha, I highly recommend it! Like I said above, it has an earthy taste that some may describe as bitter. Although it can be an acquired taste (like all the best things tend to be!), trying a new flavor is always fun. I find that the adding matcha to these protein balls is the perfect way to introduce yourself to it because it blends so well with all the other flavors!
There many different kinds of matcha out there for purchase, and they’re not all created equally. There is different grades of matcha, and ceremonial grade being the best. I suggest reading and investing in a good matcha to have as a staple in your pantry. For more information about matcha, here’s an amazing resource from Love and Lemons blog!
what’s in these matcha protein balls?
Matcha: Matcha gives these protein balls their beautiful vibrant green color, added nutrients and antioxidants, and such a unique flavor!
Coconut Flakes: The protein balls are rolled in unsweetened coconut flakes that give them a great texture and a slight natural sweetness.
Tahini: If you’re unfamiliar with tahini, it’s simply just ground sesame seeds. When ground, it forms into a texture similar to other nut kinds of butter. It’s a great nut-free option, but you can always substitute your favorite nut butter too. I personally like tahini in these because of its lighter color and unique flavor.
Honey: for a touch of natural sweetness!
Oats: Oats give a great texture in these balls and add a carbohydrate to keep you fuller, longer.
Vanilla Protein Powder: For added protein to keep you satisfied longer!
Almond Milk: to form the powder into a dough-like texture.
Vanilla Extract: More flavor, always!
Coconut Matcha Protein Balls
- 1/4 cup tahini or almond butter works too
- 2 servings vanilla protein powder of your choice
- 1 cup whole oats
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder ceremonial grade for best taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes for rolling
- Add oats, protein powder, tahini, honey, vanilla extract, and matcha to a medium/large bowl. Mix until it starts to incorporate. It should come together into a sandy texture.
- Add one to two tablespoons of almond milk (a splash or so) to the bowl and continue to mix. The almond milk should make the mixture come together like a dough. You can always add more if needed, so add in small amounts slowly.
- Use a spoon and your hands to form into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in the unsweetened shredded coconut and enjoy!