I’ve tried a lot of healthy protein pancakes in my day and after many years, I’ve finally developed some that I love! This recipe uses a combination of whole wheat flour, whey protein, collagen peptides, whipped egg whites, and more! They’re filling, delicious, and good for you!
ingredients for healthy protein pancakes:
Whole Wheat Flour: I personally love the taste of whole wheat flour, it’s truly so nutritious! It’s a great source of fiber, protein, and it’s rich in many vitamins/minerals. For my gluten-free friends, see instructions below!
Whey Protein: This recipe calls for vanilla or unflavored whey protein (just what I use and have on hand!). If dairy-free, you can try a plant-based protein in replacement.
Collagen Peptides: Unflavored collagen peptides will add a bit more protein to the recipe. I typically use Vital Proteins but any will do!
Baking Powder: This is a key ingredient to making your pancakes fluffy! Not to be confused with baking soda 🙂
Egg Whites: I prefer to whip my egg whites in this recipe to make the batter extra fluffy, but whipping is totally optional.
Melted Coconut Oil: This will add moisture that will balance out some dryness that typically comes from using whole wheat flour.
Water: To add liquid to the batter.
tips for making perfect pancakes:
- Cook on medium heat. This ensures the bottom doesn’t burn while the middle of the pancake cooks.
- Don’t over mix the batter, small clumps are okay!
- Resist the urge to flip before bubbles form. Only flip one time.
- Wipe the pan in between batches using paper towels if needed. This is so your cooking fat doesn’t burn. If your pan starts smoking at all, wipe in between batches.
- Let the batter sit for a minute or two after blending to allow the batter to thicken up a bit. This will make thick, fluffy, and beautiful pancakes!
can I make these pancakes gluten-free?
Yes! I have also tested this recipe with a gluten-free all purpose flour blend (like Bob’s Red Mill, Pillsbury, etc). If you are gluten-free adjust the flour measurement to 1 3/4 to 2 cups of GF blend as opposed to the 1 1/4 of whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is more dense, so you generally need less.
Healthy Protein Pancakes Recipe
- Flat Skillet Pan
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour for gluten-free, substitute 1 3/4 to 2 cups of an all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/3 cup whey protein powder vanilla or unflavored
- 1/4 cup collagen peptides
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 whipped egg whites about ~1/3 cup, whipping optional
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients in large mixing bowl: whole wheat flour, whey protein, collagen peptides, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Whip the egg whites using a blender or hand mixer (I find a blender easier but either will work).
- Add egg whites, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, honey, and sea salt to the bowl. Gently mix with a spoon until combined. Try not to over mix, some clumps are good!
- Heat a flat skillet to medium heat. Add a small amount of butter, oil, or non-stick spray. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, then flip. *See cooking tips above.
- Repeat for the remaining batter. Serve with honey, organic maple syrup, berries, etc. Enjoy!