When I don’t know what to make for dinner, my default is always this healthy chicken and shrimp stir fry! Rice noodles, chicken, shrimp, and veggies! It’s easy, so flavorful, and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
healthy chicken & shrimp stir fry ingredients:
This is one of my favorite “no-recipe” recipes, because it’s very easy to customize using what you have on hand, or what you love! This recipe calls for both chicken and shrimp, but you can of course use one or the other, or both. It’s packed with all sorts of vegetables and protein- and while this is my favorite combination, use what sounds good to you!
Chicken: In my opinion, the easiest and most flavorful way to make this is using a few cups of rotisserie chicken. I almost always have one on hand in the fridge! But if you don’t have access to rotisserie chicken, you can easily cook and shred to plain chicken breasts to add in as well. Or, omit the chicken all together and just use shrimp.
Shrimp: This recipe calls for about 3.5 ounces of fresh shrimp. Make sure you buy them peeled and deveined to save you some major hassel.
Sesame Oil: When it comes to Asian-inspired dishes, sesame oil is a key ingredient! It’s a simple swap to olive or avocado oil but it makes all the difference flavor wise.
Coconut Aminos: This recipe calls for coconut aminos in replace of soy sauce. I generally prefer coconut aminos to soy because it’s much less salty and has a slight sweetness. If you prefer to use soy, I would use only 1/2 cup and add 1 tablespoon of honey to add some sweetness and dimension.
Vegetables: Like I said above, the vegetables in this recipe are completely customizable to what you have and prefer. I’ve found my ideal combination includes zucchini, yellow bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms, pea pods, and kale.
Seasonings: In the sauce, you’ll need minced garlic (or garlic powder), ground ginger, and cracked black pepper. I don’t use any salt as coconut aminos and soy sauce run salty. Season with sea salt to taste when finished if necessary.
Healthy Chicken & Shrimp Stir Fry
- Wok (or large skillet pan with raised sides)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1½ cup chopped rotisserie chicken or ~2 large chicken breasts, shredded
- 3.5 oz shrimp peeled & deveined
- 7 oz rice noodles
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 minced garlic cloves or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup pea pods fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini quartered
- 1/2 cup kale optional
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Boil the rice noodles to package instructions (about 6-7 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside. Note: rice noodles cook very quickly so try not to overcook.
- Chop your rotisserie chicken into small pieces (or cook your chicken breasts to shred). Chop all vegetables to prepare (onion, zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, kale, pea pods).
- In a wok or large skillet pan, make the sauce. Combine sesame oil, coconut aminos, ginger, garlic, and cracked black pepper. Bring to a simmer on medium heat until it thickens into a glaze (about 5-6 minutes). The texture should stick to the back of a spoon.
- As the sauce thickens, add in your shrimp to cook in the sauce. Then add in all the chopped veggies. Lightly soften them to your liking (I prefer mine more crisp so I don't let them soften very long at all!)
- Add in the cooked rice noodles and chicken. Combine everything using tongs. Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!