This healthy egg frittata recipe is one of the best meal prep breakfast recipes! It’s packed with tons of nutrients from the vegetables as well as protein from the eggs and bacon. Prep this once per week and you’ll have breakfast ready in 2 minutes or less each day!
what is a frittata?
A frittata is a baked egg dish typically filled with vegetables and sometimes meats. The word frittata translates to “fried” in Italian. The name comes from traditional egg frittatas being made in a cast iron skillet, fried on the stove. In more modern times, frittatas are generally baked.
Frittatas are similar to quiches but quiche is made with a pie crust whereas frittatas are crustless. They have also been compared to an omelette, but the main difference being that frittatas are baked and typically serve a larger crowd.
I personally love a frittata for breakfast meal prep, because they do yield a higher serving and reheat very well!
how to make a healthy egg frittata:
Start by deciding what you want to add to your own frittata. The beauty of this recipe is it’s completely customizable and adaptable to what you want or have on hand. In our household, we typically add spinach, bell pepper, mushrooms, and bacon. But you can choose any chopped vegetables that sound appealing and any meat (ham, sausage, bacon, etc!)
Prepare all of your ingredients. Clean and chop the vegetables. Pre-cook the bacon, sausage, or ham (if not done so already) and chop into small pieces.
Whisk your eggs and combine all ingredients: eggs, vegetables, protein source, almond milk, salt, and pepper. Add to a greased baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Remove from the oven and let cool. Serve with avocado, cilantro, green onions, or hot sauce. For reheating, microwave for 2 minutes or so and enjoy!
Healthy Egg Frittata
- Baking Dish
- 12 large eggs
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon/sausage/or ham pre-cooked
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add in chopped vegetables (any you'd like) along with the cooked bacon, ham, or sausage.
- Add a splash of almond milk, salt, pepper, and combine. Transfer to a greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the center is fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let cook. Serve with avocado, cilantro, green onions, or hot sauce. Enjoy!