I might be a little biased but, this lemon basil orzo is incredible!
Even my husband says it’s his favorite meal besides “a big steak dinner” so I’ll take that as a major win! No matter your dietary preferences, there should be an option for you with this recipe!
what is orzo?
If you aren’t familiar with Orzo, it’s a type of pasta that is shaped similar to rice or another long grain. Orzo means “barley” in Italian, and it can also be found by the name Risoni. The same as traditional pasta, orzo is typically made with flour, meaning it is not gluten-free- but there are many gluten-free and grain-free options out there to use instead!
what’s in this lemon basil orzo & chicken recipe?
- Chicken Tenderloins
- Onions and Garlic
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut Milk
- White Wine Vinegar
- Lemon Juice
- Ghee or Butter
- Fresh Basil
Lemon Basil Orzo with Chicken
This recipe is a super simple yet satifying meal that can be made in 40 minutes or less. Made dairy-free with a gluten-free option!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz chicken tenderloins seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 2½ cups dry orzo
- 1 white onion diced
- 1½ tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coconut milk canned
- 1-2 lemons juiced (I used 2 for more lemon flavor)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium heat. While the pan heats, season the tenderloins with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through. Set aside.
- Cook the orzo on the stove to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water to avoid sticking. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat ghee (or butter), and add the diced onion. Soften the onion, then add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Next, add the broth, coconut milk, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and seasonings. Let simmer for a few minutes until the sauce slightly thickens, then add the orzo.
- Mix until all orzo is coated in the sauce. Add in the chopped basil.
- Lastly, add cooked chicken to the top of the orzo dish and garnish with more fresh basil leaves or lemon slices. Enjoy!
For gluten-free or paleo option, try Jovial Foods cassava flour orzo.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!