These chocolate peppermint protein balls are a delicious and healthy holiday treat! Made with protein powder, almond butter, cacao powder, and more. The perfect healthy snack to prep ahead of time and get you into the holiday spirit!
Confession: I’ve made three batches of these in the past three days. And they’re all gone. They’re truly that good. In our house, we almost always have protein balls on hand for snacks on the go, so I like to have different flavor options at all times. And now that Christmas time is near, it was only fitting to make a holiday version!
ingredients for chocolate peppermint protein balls:
For these protein balls, you just need a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. Ready in 10 minutes, you’ll want to make these all the time 🙂
Chocolate Protein Powder: I used whey protein for mine, but any plant-based protein will work as well. If you only have vanilla-flavored protein, simply add more cacao powder to make them a rich chocolate flavor.
Cacao Powder: Raw cacao powder will give a rich and delicious chocolate flavor to this protein balls, that goes perfectly with the peppermint flavor.
Almond Butter: You can use any nut or seed butter in this recipe, but I find that almond butter is the most neutral tasting that doesn’t overpower the peppermint or chocolate flavors.
Honey: For natural sweetness. You can also substitute maple syrup as well.
Peppermint Extract: Self-explanatory, but gives the perfect peppermint flavor!
Almond Milk: For moisture and holding the protein balls together.
White Chocolate: For the outer coating. I love using Lily’s brand for a low-sugar option. You can also use dark chocolate as well!
Coconut Oil: The small amount of coconut oil melted in with the white chocolate allows for the outer shell to harden better.
Crushed Candy Canes: Sprinkle these on top for the perfect healthy holiday treat!
Chocolate Peppermint Protein Balls
- 2/3 cup chocolate protein powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 cup almond butter or other nut/seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 bar white chocolate or 1/2 cup chips, melted
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- crushed candy cane or mint
- In a mixing bowl, mix protein powder and cacao powder. Next, add in the almond butter, honey, and peppermint extract. Mix until a sandy-texture dough begins to form.
- Add in almond milk one tablespoon at a time until the dough becomes moist and sticky. NOTE: you don't want to add too much almond milk, just enough to make the dough moist.
- Roll into one-inch balls.
- For the coating, melt white chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or use the double boiler method.
- Using a fork, roll each protein ball in the melted chocolate and set on a piece of parchment paper to cool.
- Top with crushed candy canes. Add to the freezer for about 10 minutes to set. Enjoy!