Ever wondered how to make a vegetable like brussels sprouts taste absolutely delicious?! Well, look no further because this recipe combines fresh ingredients to make a traditionally “boring” vegetable taste incredible! The combination of sweet and savory is one that you can’t get enough of.
Brussels Sprouts: Raw and uncooked.
Bacon: Diced bacon adds a savory element.
Honey: Where the sweetness comes from!
Olive Oil: When roasting, the olive oil breaks down each sprout, making them more tender without becoming soggy.
Pomegranate Seeds: The secret ingredient that ties it all together, the pomegranate seeds add a fresh burst of sweetness to each bite.
how to cook brussels sprouts:
Prepping: First things first, prepping your vegetable makes a huge difference. Cutting the ends off and slicing in half will allow them to cook more thoroughly so they’re a good balance between too soft and too tough. After cutting, you want to soak them in cold water for a few minutes to remove any excess dirt. Allow them to dry on a cloth afterward.
Cooking: In my opinion, roasting brussels sprouts is the best way to cook them. Roasting with olive oil will allow them to cook evenly and the oil breaks them down just enough so they aren’t tough. Placing them cut side down allows them to caramelize while roasting, the small leaves get a nice charred edge. This in combination with the honey, bacon, and pomegranate seeds leads to incredible flavor.
YES, always wash and dry your brussels sprouts (as with any fresh produce) before cooking. The leaves on brussels sprouts have a tendency to trap dirt so soaking them in cold water before or after cutting them is always wise.
Yes! Always be sure to cut the ends off of the brussels sprouts before roasting. I also like to cut them in half to cook more quickly and get a crispy, caramelized edge.
Sweet and Savory Brussels Sprouts
- Sheet Pan
- 4 cups brussels sprouts
- 1 cup bacon diced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes optional for sweet & spicy
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and cut the brussels sprouts. Cut the stem off of each one, and then cut them each in half.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a baking sheet. Add the brussels sprouts to the pan, cut side down, and evenly spaced. Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil on top.
- Add the diced bacon (uncooked) to the sheet pan with the brussels sprouts, evenly spread.
- Roast the brussels sprouts and bacon together for about 15 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and gently mix, making sure there are no dry pieces.
- Drizzle with honey, and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- The brussels sprouts should be tender, yet crisp. The small leaves that separate will get charred and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and top with pomegranate seeds and more honey if you would like more sweetness. Enjoy!