This healthy french toast bake is the perfect breakfast for a meal prep, for a group, and even Christmas morning! It’s made with real, wholesome ingredients like wholegrain bread, eggs, almond milk, warm spices, and organic maple syrup.
Your favorite bread: I used my favorite whole grain bread for this recipe, but you can use any bread you love! Try it with gluten-free bread, sourdough, or even cinnamon raisin bread. Get creative!
Eggs: This recipe calls for 6 whole eggs to make the egg mixture.
Almond Milk: I used almond milk, but you can use any milk of your choosing. Nut milk, oat milk, soy milk, or cow’s milk.
Warming Spices: This recipe uses cinnamon and nutmeg to create a deliciously spiced french toast bake!
Vanilla Extract: I recommend using a high-quality vanilla extract. If you don’t have vanilla extract, you can use vanilla flavored almond milk!
Pure Maple Syrup: You need a tablespoon or so for the egg mixture and more for topping. If you prefer, you can use sugar-free maple syrup instead of organic maple syrup.
Toppings: I used crushed walnuts but you could also use pecans, fruit, or even whipped cream!
how to make this healthy french toast bake:
Slice the bread. Start by cutting the bread slices into cubes and adding to a greased casserole dish.
Make the egg mixture. In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and spices until well combined.
Combine. Pour the egg mixture onto the bread cubes in the casserole dish. Gently press down with your hands until all pieces are coated and in a flat layer.
Chill. Add to the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour, or up to overnight if necessary.
Bake. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and bake for about 45-50 minutes. If it gets to be too browned, add foil for the duration of the bake time.
Serve. Remove from the oven and top portion into slices. Top with more maple syrup, nuts, fruit, or even powdered sugar or whipped cream!
when to serve:
For meal prep: This is truly a perfect recipe for meal prep (I’ve been eating it for the last two weeks!). It reheats really well, and makes about 6 servings.
For a group: Since this makes 6 servings, it’s a great recipe to make for group for breakfast or brunch!
For Christmas Morning: I made this recipe with Christmas morning in mind! It’s easy to make a head of time and can be refrigerated overnight. All you need to to is pop it into the oven while everyone opens presents and you have a delicious, healthy breakfast for your whole family!
Healthy French Toast Bake
- Casserole Dish
- 1 small loaf wholegrain bread (gluten-free if necessary) ~12 slices
- 6 whole eggs
- 1½ cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon + more for topping organic maple syrup sugar-free maple syrup works as well
- Start by cutting the slices of bread into cubes. Add all the bread cubes to a well-greased baking dish and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, one tablespoon of maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture on top of the bread pieces in the casserole dish. With clean hands, gently press the bread pieces down flat and ensure each piece is coated in the egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour (up to overnight if needed). *See notes below if using a glass casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove from the refrigerator and top with crushed walnuts.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, checking periodically. If the top starts to get too browned, cover with foil for the duration of baking time.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Slice into pieces and top with more maple syrup. Enjoy!