This hearty soup is packed with flavor, nutrients, and will keep you full and satisfied. It’s made with golden potatoes, sausage, kale, and sun-dried tomatoes- for a twist on the classic Zuppa Toscana.
- Golden Potatoes
- Bone Broth (or veggie broth)
- Olive or Avocado Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Kale (stems removed)
- Fennel Seeds
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
Sun-dried tomatoes are simply tomatoes that have been dehydrated in the sun. You can find them at most grocery stores, typically in the aisle with jarred pickles, olives, roasted-red peppers, etc. Sun-dried tomatoes are almost always packaged in a jar with olive oil, and they have a more intense flavor profile than a typical tomato.
Sun-Dried Tomato, Kale, and Potato Soup
- Soup Pot Medium to Large
- 10 small golden potatoes quartered
- 6 cups veggie broth or bone broth
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 lb ground sausage or ground pork
- 1/2 cup bacon chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1⅐ tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt more to taste if necessary
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup kale chopped, stems removed
- Bring broth to a boil. While it heats up, cut your potatoes into fourths. Boil the potatoes until fork tender for about 10 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet pan on medium heat, saute onion, garlic, and bacon with olive oil until the onion is softened and the bacon begins to crisp. Once softened, add in the sausage. Cook on medium-high heat until browned. Once browned, add in all the seasonings to the pan and combine.
- Back at the boiling pot, turn the heat down to a low simmer. Transfer the ground sausage, bacon, and onions over to the soup pot. *Optional: drain out excess fat/oil before adding.
- Chop up the sun-dried tomatoes and kale. Add the sun-dried tomatoes to the pot and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes more to really let the flavors combine.
- Lastly, add in the chopped kale and mix in with the rest of the soup. Serve with your favorite baguette/bread and enjoy a cozy, hearty meal!