ATTN: all lemon lovers! This healthy lemon bread is so delicious and it’s good for you! It’s grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free. It’s sweetened with honey and has applesauce in replace of oil to make it much lighter. And, there’s an option to make these into muffins too.
let’s talk flavor: healthy lemon bread
Fresh lemon juice: I think it’s important to use juice from lemons in this recipe instead of store bought lemon juice. While store bought can be a great option, the preservatives in it often take away that delicious fresh lemon flavor. In a lemon-centric bread like this one, the fresh taste is key!
Applesauce: Will my bread taste like apples? Nope, not even a little bit! While seeing applesauce on the ingredient list may seem odd, I use it in replace of the oil. It gives a great moisture to the loaf and you don’t taste it at al.
Raw Honey: Honey is used to naturally sweeten the lemon bread, but you can substitute maple syrup as well.
can I make the bread into muffins?
Yes, yes, and yes! This amount of batter makes a perfect amount for 12 muffins. Just adjust the cooking time to be about 15-20 minutes. Mine were perfect at about 17 minutes.
what should my batter look like?
The batter for this lemon loaf should be slightly thick but still runny (if you’re confused by this, check out my Instagram Reels for a video tutorial). It will likely look thinner than a classic lemon loaf batter made with all purpose flour due to the fact that this is made with paleo baking flours (almond and tapioca). It may start to puff up or bubble a bit due to the lemon and baking soda reacting in the batter. This is normal, but I recommend transferring the batter to the loaf pan immediately after mixing instead of letting it sit at all.
Healthy Lemon Bread
- 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan
- OR a muffin pan
- 250 grams almond flour about 2½ cups (spooned) but use a food scale for best results!
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour can substitute arrowroot starch as well
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from one lemon grated peel
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F), or 180 degrees (C). Line a bread pan (8.5 x 4.5) with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, applesauce, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients: almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Gently mix only until it's all combined. Immediately transfer to the loaf pan lined with parchment paper and gently tap the loaf pan with batter on the counter top to release any air bubbles from the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes of baking time, check to make sure the top isn't browning too much. Add foil for the remaining cook time if necessary.
- Bake until the bread is lightly golden on top, and a toothpick or thin knife comes out clean in the center.
- Let the bread cool and remove it from the pan to serve. Slice, drizzle with honey, and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Healthy Lemon Bread (paleo, gluten-free)”
Fantastic! I backed it last night and I’m just eating one piece and it’s so delicious.
I used a little bit less of honey (I like citrusy flavors) and a bit more of lemon juice.
I loved this recipe! Thank you so much
Amazing, so glad you enjoyed! Thanks so much for sharing!