Where are my lemon lovers at?! This healthy lemon bread is so delicious and it’s actually GOOD FOR YOU. It’s grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free. It’s sweetened with honey and has applesauce in replace of oil to make it much lighter. And, there’s an option to make these into muffins too.
can I make the bread into muffins?
Yes, yes, and yes! This amount of batter makes a perfect amount for 12 muffins. Just adjust the cooking time to be about 15-20 minutes. Mine were perfect at about 17 minutes.
let’s talk flavor: healthy lemon bread
Fresh lemon juice: I think it’s important to use juice from lemons in this recipe instead of store bought lemon juice. While store bought can be a great option, the preservatives in it often take away that delicious fresh lemon flavor. In a lemon-centric bread like this one, the fresh taste is key!
Applesauce: Will my bread taste like apples? Nope, not even a little bit! While seeing applesauce on the ingredient list may seem odd, I use it in replace of the oil. It gives a great moisture to balance the almond flour, and you don’t taste it in the slightest!
Raw Honey: Honey is used to naturally sweeten the lemon bread, but you can substitute maple syrup as well.
what should my batter look like?
The batter for this healthy lemon bread should be right in between thick and thin. It should be smooth and mixable with a spoon. It should not be runny, and it should not be too thick that it’s hard to stir. If your batter seems too runny, there’s probably an issue with the amount of almond flour. Weighing your almond flour with a food scale (to 265 grams) can eliminate this issue, as many measuring cups vary in sizes.
healthy lemon bread
- 8.5 x 4.5 bread pan
- muffin tin
- 2¾ cup almond flour (~265 grams)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds optional
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- juice from 3 medium-sized lemons
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F), or 180 degrees (C). Line a bread pan (8.5 x 4.5) with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together wet ingredients (eggs, honey, applesauce, lemon juice & zest, vanilla extract, almond milk).
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, baking soda).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a large spoon until well incorporated. The almond flour should absorb a lot of the liquid from the wet ingredients. If your batter looks too runny, let it sit for a few minutes so the almond flour absorbs more.
- Transfer the batter to the bread pan and bake for about 35-45 minutes. With almond flour, baking time is only a guide, as it varies depending on over temperature so make sure to check your bread every few minutes after the 15-minute mark.
- After about 10-15 minutes of baking time, check to make sure the top isn't browning too much. Add foil for the remaining cook time.
- Bake until the bread is lightly golden on top, and a toothpick or thin knife comes out clean in the center.
- Let the bread cool and remove it from the pan to serve. Slice & drizzle with honey! Enjoy 🙂