A deliciously healthy dinner recipe that’s ready in under 40 minutes. These healthy chicken enchiladas are the perfect meal to add to this weeks dinner rotation! They’re flavorful, filling, and fresh!
If you’re finding yourself in a dinner rut (as I often do!) say hello to these healthy chicken enchiladas! These are the perfect addition to your weekly dinner rotation. They are made with wholegrain tortilla, a homemade enchilada sauce, and they’re made with a ton of fresh ingredients!
ingredients for healthy chicken enchiladas:
- Shredded Chicken
- Homemade or Store-Bought Enchilada Sauce
- Wholegrain Tortillas (or tortillas of your choice)
- Corn & Black Beans
- Homemade Mango Salsa
how to make enchiladas:
Make the chicken. Start by cooking the chicken breasts to shred in any way you choose. This may be a crock pot or on the stove. I chose to boil my chicken for about 8-10 minutes, drain the water, and shred- but do what works best for you!
Make the sauce. In a stovetop pan, make the homemade sauce. You always have the option to use store-bought enchilada sauce if you want to, but homemade is always better in my opinion 🙂
Fill and wrap the tortillas. Once you have the sauce and chicken made, add about 1/2 the sauce to the chicken will some black beans and corn. Scoop the filling into each tortilla with a sprinkle of shredded cheese and add to the baking dish. Cover with more sauce and shredded cheese to bake.
Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly on the sides and the cheese is melted.
Top with mango salsa once baked and serve! Note: if you know you will have leftovers, add the salsa to individual plates so you don’t have to reheat the fresh salsa.
Yes! The homemade sauce is a completely optional step in this recipe. Use about 2 cups of enchilada sauce in total, either store bought or homemade. If using store-bought, just add straight to the shredded chicken to make the filling and assemble the enchiladas for baking.
The fruit salsa is completely customizable to you. I love mangos, but you could also use pineapple, kiwi, papaya, etc. Or, just leave the fruit out all together and make a fresh salsa using avocados, onions, cilantro, lime, and peppers.
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas with Mango Salsa
- Baking Dish
- 1 lb chicken breasts about 3-4 breasts
- 8 wholegrain tortillas or tortillas of your choice
- 1/2 cup light shredded cheese dairy-free if needed
- 3 tbsp corn
- 3 tbsp black beans
For Sauce: (store bought sauce works as well)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 mediums-sized onion diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour mixed in equal parts water before adding
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 fresh lime juiced
- cracked black pepper to taste
For Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/2 fresh lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems removed
- Start by cooking the chicken to be shredded in any way you prefer. This can be the crockpot or on the stove. I chose to boil my chicken for about 8-10 minutes, draining the water, and shredding.
- If using store-bought sauce, skip this step and add to the chicken for the filling.
- Start by softening the onion with olive oil on high heat. Once soft and translucent, add the tomato pasta and broth. Gently stir this together, and then add the tapioca flour. Note: when using the tapioca flour, mix with equal parts water first before adding to the saucepan. This will ensure no clumps for in the hot liquid.
- Add in all seasonings and lime juice. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer until everything thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Add about half the sauce to the shredded chicken along with the black beans and corn. Leave the other half to pour on top.
- Add a small amount of the remaining sauce to the bottom of your baking dish. Add a scoop of the filling to each tortilla, along with a sprinkle of cheese (optional). Roll each tortilla and add to the dish.
- Cover the rolled tortillas in the baking dish with the remaining sauce and shredded cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly at the corners and the cheese is melted.
- To make the mango salsa, add all of the diced produce to a bowl and squeeze the lime. Mix and add to the top of the enchiladas once baked. Enjoy!