Cranberry Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies (say that 3 times fast!), oh my goodness these are a hit! I love a classic oatmeal raisin cookie- and these cookies are similar but with a holiday twist! The flavors of dried cranberries, dark chocolate, coconut flakes, and caramel-y coconut sugar are so delicious.
I’m a little biased, but I would definitely add these to your Christmas cookie lineup this season for a healthier option without sacrificing taste!
what’s in these cranberry chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies?
Oats: The base of these lovely cookies is whole oats. There’s something so good about oatmeal cookies, and they’re also gluten-free!
Dried Cranberries: The dried cranberries in this give a delicious natural sweetness and a chewy texture. And they pair great with the oats.
Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is one of my favorite refined-sugar free sweeteners to bake with, especially in cookies! It’s basically a direct replacement for brown sugar, and it gives that delicious caramel taste that brown sugar gives as well.
Maple Syrup: Added for the maple flavor and a touch of natural sweetness.
Ghee: Simply put, ghee is clarified butter. Ghee is butter, but with the lactose and casein removed, making it dairy-free. But ghee is still made from animal products, so it is not vegan. See my favorite brand, here. In this recipe, ghee gives a wonderful buttery flavor that pairs so well with the coconut sugar!
Eggs: Eggs are the binding agent for the rest of the ingredients.
Coconut Flakes: These are optional, but I personally think they give these coconut another added layer of goodness. But you can definitely leave these out.
Dark Chocolate Chunks: Because, YUM. The dark chocolate and cranberry combination is just a 10/10. My preferred brand of dark chocolate is Lindt 85% dark or Lily’s Dark Chocolate Stevia chips.
cranberry chocolate chunk cookies
- 1 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour all-purpose or whole wheat flour can be used instead
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes optional
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 3 tbsp ghee room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries no added sugar
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips of your choice I used 85% cacao, extra dark chunks
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl- oats, flour, coconut flakes, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, mix coconut sugar, ghee, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla. Ensure that it is mixed well and there are no large chunks of unmixed ghee.
- Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well. The mixture should look like wet granola. Add the cranberries and chocolate.
- Using a cookie scoop or a large spoon, portion out the cookies into 1 inch balls. It’s completely normal for this dough to be slightly crumbly, so when portioning the cookies, roll them into your hands to slightly squeeze. This will ensure that they don’t fall about while baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12-14 minutes in the oven. When they are finished baking, they will be in a ball shape still. You can let flatten them with a small glass or leave them round- either way, they taste great! Let them cool and enjoy 🙂